We all know that water is good for you. And, if you’re like me (and most people out there) you don’t get as much a day as you should (no, wine and coffee don’t count, as much as I wish they did).
According to The Mayo Clinic, everyone’s hydration needs are different, but on average, women need about 2.7 liters (91 oz) and men need about 3.7 liters (125 oz). That seems a lot, especially since most people subscribe to the 8 cups of 8 ounces per day. However, when you assume you’re awake for 16+ hours, that’s around 6 oz an hour. I don’t know about you, but I can pound a 12 oz coffee in that time no problem.
So how do we reach that magic goal? How do we stay motivated to keep drinking and staying hydrated? Here’s some tips!
- Buy a water bottle – While it would seem to make sense from a tracking standpoint to keep using reusable bottles, it’s not very practical (or environmentally friendly). You can buy reusable water bottles in a variety of shapes, sizes, and colors. Some of my favorites are linked below (yes, I own a lot of water bottles). Also, by having a water bottle, you’re more likely to use it (think return on investment here everyone!)
- Remember that some foods have water in them – They can help with your goals without feeling like it! Who doesn’t want an excuse to eat some watermelon?
- Diffuse – What’s better than cucumber mint water? Put a pitcher of water with fruits or herbs in the fridge overnight to diffuse. These tasty “treats” can help break up the monotony.
- Add Lemon/Lime – These get a number all their own, because it’s so easy! Cut half of a lemon or lime and put it in your water bottle to give your water a citrus flair.
- Try a SodaStream – I have one and I love it. I used to buy bottles and cans of seltzer water. Now I can make my own! And SodaStream has bottles in different sizes!
The biggest thing is to make a routine and try everything in your power to stick to it.
What tips or tricks do you have to keep yourself hydrated? Share them below!
My Favorite Water Bottles